The purpose of the Los Alamos Addition Neighborhood Association is to promote the continued proper use of all the land in the Los Alamos Subdivision, to promulgate the Restrictive Covenants of the Subdivision, to assist in enforcing the Zoning Regulations of the City of Albuquerque and, in general, to protect the property values of all the properties in our Subdivision. The organization shall also work to provide information and take initiatives appropriate to improving the quality of life of its membership.
Los Alamos Addition – A Neighborhood Overview By Mary P. Davis with Mary G. Ragins
One of the largest and best preserved pre-World War 11 subdivisions in Albuquerque’s North Valley, the Los Alamos Addition still displays the verdant characteristics that historically distinguished it. Located two blocks north of Montano Road, four straight streets – Alamosa [originally Alamo], LaPlata [originally Paiomas], Placitas, and Sandia Roads – run for approximately 1400 feet straight east from 4th Street ending in cul-de-sacs approximately 100 feet from the Galiegos Lateral. The large lots, most of them at least 100’x 230′, oriented in a north-south direction and heavily landscaped, stretch back to a ditch easement bringing water to yards from the Lateral. The ditches are still in use today by many property owners in Los Alamos Addition.
Originally each street in Los Alamos Addition was bordered on both sides by a continuous row of Siberian elms. These were planted in the heyday of their use as encouraged by erstwhile Albuquerque Mayor Clyde Tingley for many of his years on the Albuquerque City Commission beginning in the 1920s. Under his leadership, in 1931 the City began selling elm saplings for 60 cents and later distributed them for free [Kammer, 2000, 19]. Not all subsequent homeowners in Los Alamos Addition loved their elm trees; today none of the subdivision’s streets are continuously edged by unbroken lines of elms, but enough remain that the overall effect is still of a dense canopy of trees